Monday, June 9, 2014

Welcome St. Joseph's Wood

Welcome to Saint Joseph's Wood.  As I stated in the blog's introduction, I am an amateur woodworker and woodcarver.  My interest in woodworking began many years ago when, as a teenager, I helped my Dad rebuild a derelict house that we eventually moved into. I learned a lot about woodworking, plumbing, electrical, roofing, and concrete during those years.  In the years since that time, I've not practiced the wood working craft with any regularity.  A couple of my most memorable projects included a six-foot tall bookcase and a small chicken coop.  

About 10 years ago, I thought I might like to take up wood carving. So I bought a set of FlexCut knives, and handcarved a few small items.  I still do and carvings on occasion. Although I have never been very good at it. LOL. 

About a year ago, I bought a CNC router with the intention of designing and making wooden signs,  plaques and such.  This seem to me that it would fit my interests of woodworking and computer graphics.  As with all things, learning curve has been pretty steep. Many of my early projects yielded  poor results.  But, practice makes perfect!  My more recent attempts have gone much better.  I invested in ArtCAM Express as my design program.  It has enabled me to make much better digital vector art that can then be converted into the CNC machine's language.

This is a photo of a design I cut using my CNC router.  I made the CNC design using ArtCAM Express from a photograph.   This carving was intended to be a proof of concept so that I could be sure I was doing things the right way.  I'm very happy with the results.  

Welcome again to St. Joseph's Wood.  Please feel free to comment or write something up about your experience with wood crafting.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment