Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Busy Saturday in the Shop

Today was a busy day in my wood shop. I worked on two projects. 

  I'm working on a new sign for my Brother-in-Law's birthday, and making an ironing board extension for my wife.

  The sign is a CNC carved outline of a 1948 Ford F-100 pick-up, an old Ford Motor Co. logo, and lettering. I designed the carving using ArtCAM. Using ArtCAM Express, I drew the truck's outline from a good photo.  The Ford logo was produced using ArtCAM's automatic vector feature. The text was created from the standard ArtCAM text tool. 

  I've been working on it for several weeks and have cut several experimental blanks. Between each trial, I made adjustments to the design to improve the look. I started cutting the final product 2 days ago.  As you'll see in the photo, the sign has a black background and the carved areas are the natural wood color. I've sprayed clear sealant over the sign to both preserve it and to bring it to a high gloss.  


I'm very happy with the outcome. 

  My second project, the ironing board extension is a 48" x 60" piece of OSB that will sit on the regular ironing board providing a larger surface area. I added some braces that outline the ironing board's outline to keep the extension in place during use.  The corners of the OSB are radius end to 4" to give it a smooth appearance and all edges are rounded over. With my part done, my wife will cover the board with some cotton batting and cotton duck fabric. The fabric/batting will be stapled to the underside of the OSB. I'll add photos when it's done. 

Happy woodworking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment